- Robert Carr, Earl of Somerset, with His Countess, Frances Howard
- ca. 1615
- Line engraving on medium, smooth, cream laid paper, pasted on mount, laid on additional larger mount
- Sheet: 7 1/2 x 5 9/16 inches (19.1 x 14.2 cm) and Image: 7 1/16 x 5 9/16 inches (18 x 14.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[...] | very fine [...]"; in brown ink, on back, lower left: "npt"; in graphite, on back, lower center: "v, ut P3 9a1"; on mount, lower left: "H. vol. 2. p. 190, no. 58 | pl. 105. only state"; lower center: "Robert Carr shared the fe[...] of the beautiful + profligate Lady | Essex with Prince Henry, + supposed to have poised(?) him from jealousy-"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "The portracture of Robert Car, Earle of Somerset, Vicount Rochester, Knight of the most | noble order of the Garter &c. And of the Sadie Francis his wife *"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- brocade | cape | coat of arms | costume | crest | crown | embroidery | feathers | gown | hat | headpiece | jewelry | jewels | man | nobility | portrait | reticella | ruff | woman
- Associated People:
- Carr, Robert, earl of Somerset (1585/6?–1645), favourite of James I
Howard [married names Devereux, Carr], Frances, countess of Somerset (1590–1632), courtier
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Robert Carr, Earl of Somerset, with His Countess, Frances Howard, ca. 1615
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.