Thomas Shadwell, Esquire, Poet Laureat & Historiographer
- between 1690 and 1703
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 13/16 x 11 1/8 inches (40.1 x 28.2 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 3/4 inches (35.2 x 24.7 cm), and Image: 12 1/16 x 9 3/4 inches (30.7 x 24.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen, on back, lower left: "St"
Lettered, lower center: "Thomas Shadwell Esq.r | Poet Laureat & Historiographer to their Majesties K. Willim & Q. Mary. | He Died in December 1692. | I: Kerssaboom pinx: W Faithorne fec. Cum Privilego Regis. Sold by E Cooper at ye 3 pidgeons ni Bedford Street."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- broche | building | clouds | columns | cravat | historian | lace | man | nobleman | pin | playwright | poet | portrait | robes | sash | satin | trees | wig
- Associated People:
- Shadwell, Thomas, Esq. (c.1640–1692), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Faithorne, 1656–ca. 1701, British, Thomas Shadwell, Esquire, Poet Laureat & Historiographer, between 1690 and 1703
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.