Thomas Shadwell, Esquire, Poet Laureat & Historiographer
- between 1690 and 1703
- Materials & Techniques:
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 13/16 x 11 1/8 inches (40.1 x 28.2 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 3/4 inches (35.2 x 24.7 cm), Image: 12 1/16 x 9 3/4 inches (30.7 x 24.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen, on back, lower left: "St"
Lettered, lower center: "Thomas Shadwell Esq.r | Poet Laureat & Historiographer to their Majesties K. Willim & Q. Mary. | He Died in December 1692. | I: Kerssaboom pinx: W Faithorne fec. Cum Privilego Regis. Sold by E Cooper at ye 3 pidgeons ni Bedford Street."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- broche | building | clouds | columns | cravat | cuffs | curls | gesturing | historian | lace | man | nobleman | pin | playwright | poet | pointing | portrait | robes | sash | satin | trees | wig
- Associated People:
- Shadwell, Thomas, Esq. (c.1640–1692), playwright and poet
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Faithorne, 1656–ca. 1701, British, Thomas Shadwell, Esquire, Poet Laureat & Historiographer, between 1690 and 1703
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.