- Brood Mare and Third Foal, with Marks of Quagga
- ca. 1837
- Watercolor, graphite, pen and black ink and brown ink on mediium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 3 7/8 × 6 1/2 inches (9.8 × 16.5 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower left: "Brood mare | with her third foal | marked after the Quagga"; inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "from pictures in Surgeons | College London."; inscribed in pen and black ink, upper right: "Horses"
Signed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "chs", not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Hamilton Smith, 1776–1859, Belgian, Brood Mare and Third Foal, with Marks of Quagga, ca. 1837
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.