- The Alco: Young, Carrier Dog of the Indians
- ca. 1837
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, brown ink, gray ink and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 4 3/4 × 7 7/16 inches (12.1 × 18.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower left: "The Alco. | Young."; inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower center: "Canis Familiaris"; inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "[Te?] Chichi of Mexico | Carrier dog of the Indians?"; inscribed in graphite, upper center: "61"
Signed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "chs", not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Hamilton Smith, 1776–1859, Belgian, The Alco: Young, Carrier Dog of the Indians, ca. 1837
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.