The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 1, "The Pindaric Genius Receiving His Lyre"
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 2: "Ode on the Spring."
- Part Of:
- between 1797 and 1798
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm) and Sheet (Inlaid letterpress page): 6 1/4 x 3 5/8 inches (15.9 x 9.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite center: "Drawings | by | William Blake"; on verso in gray ink upper left: "2"; in gray ink upper center: "Ode on the Spring | Design. | 1 The Pindaric Genius receiving his Lyre | 2 Gray writing his Poems | 3 The Purple Year awaking from the Roots of | Nature. & The Hours suckling their | Flowery Infants | 4 'With me the Muse shall sit & think | at ease reclind in rustic state' | 5. 'Brush'd by the hand of rough Mischance | Or chill'd by Age' | 6. Summer Flies reproaching the Poet | Around the Springs of Gray my wild root weaves | Traveller repose & Dream among my leaves. | - Will. Blake"; in graphite center: "<...> | <Brush'd by the hand of | rough mischance or Chill'd by Age | Summer Flies reproaching the Poet>"
Signed in graphite, verso: "Will.Blake"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | harness | lyre | man | men | nude | ode | poem | quill pen | spring | text | writing (processes)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Available online: Illus London News Hist. Archiv
Arnold Fawcus, William Blake's Watercolour Designs Illustrating Gray's Poems - and Mr. Paul Mellon, Connoisseur, vol. 179,no. 719, January 1972, p. 10, fig. 1, N1 C75 + (YCBA) Another copy inckuded in Vertical File Collection : V 2335