The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 107, "Elegy Written in a Country Church-Yard."
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 108, "Elegy Written in a Country Church-Yard."
- Part Of:
- between 1797 and 1798
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in black ink upper right: "3"; in graphite center: "x"; on verso in black ink upper left: "4"; in graphite center: "x"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angel | book | children | church | dirt | grave | horse (animal) | keg | literary theme | men | mourning | plow (agricultural equipment) | reading | religious and mythological subject | road | shawl | shawls | shovel | shroud | spires | stone | text | trees | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
William Blake - The Artist (Tate Britain, 2019-09-11 - 2020-02-20) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine [ORBIS]
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Available online: Illus London News Hist. Archiv [ORBIS]
William Blake, Tate Publishing, London, p. 109, cat. 84, NJ18.B57 M97 2019 (LC) Oversize (YCBA) [YCBA]