- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/2 x 8 7/8 inches (31.8 x 22.5 cm), Plate: 10 13/16 x 7 9/16 inches (27.5 x 19.2 cm), and Image: 9 x 6 15/16 inches (22.8 x 17.6 cm)
collector's stamp of Yale University Gallery of Fine Arts, in brown ink, on back, lower right, in box: "YALE UNI | VERSITY | GALLERY | OF FINE | ARTS"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Drawn from Nature by W. Hodges."; lower center: "OMAI. | Published Feby. 1st. 1777, by Wm. Strahan, New Street, Shoe Lane, & Thos. Cadell, in the Strand, London."; lower right: "Engraved by J. Caldwall. | No. LVII."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Chauncey B. Tinker, B.A. 1899
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- curls | man | portrait | Tahitian
- Associated People:
- Omai (c.1753–1780)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Isabel Combs Stuebe, Life and works of William Hodges, , Garland Publishing, Inc., New York, 1979, pp. xii, 169, no. 121, fig. 91, NJ18 H646 S75 1979 (YCBA)