- Part Of:
- Etching; open etching on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 3/4 × 17 5/8 inches (32.4 × 44.8 cm), Plate: 10 1/4 × 13 3/4 inches (26 × 34.9 cm), and Image: 7 5/8 × 11 1/2 inches (19.4 × 29.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R. 137."; lower center: "Etching."; inscribed on vero in graphite, lower left: "The Rivers of Devon."; lower center: "Engraver's open etching."; lower right: "([...] [...] 44."
Lettered below image: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner Esq. R.A. | Etched by W.B.Cooke 1814. | Plymouth Citadel. | London Published Jan 2, 1815 by W.B. Cooke. 12 York Place. Pentonville."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- citadel | landscape (representation) | marine art | martello tower | sound
- Associated Places:
- Devon | England | English Channel | Europe | Mount Batten Tower | Plymouth | Plymouth Sound | The Royal Citadel | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, Plymouth Citadel, 1815
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.