Lake of Nemi
- Part Of:
- Engraving and etching (Second State) on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 10 5/8 × 15 inches (27 × 38.1 cm), Plate: 9 × 11 3/4 inches (22.9 × 29.8 cm), and Image: 5 5/8 × 8 5/8 inches (14.3 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.155"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Hakewill's Italy"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "1819"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "[(Rowmouth] May 43)"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner, R.A. from a finish'd sketch by J.Hakewill."; lettered, lower center: "Lake of Nemi. | Publish'd as the act directs, Dec.1,1819, by John Murray, Albemarle Str. London."; lettered, lower right: "Engrav'd by Middiman and Pye"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- church | hill | lake | landscape (representation) | palace
- Associated Places:
- Albani, Colli | Church of Santa Maria della Cima | Europe | Genzano di Roma | Italy | Lazio | Nemi, Lago di | Palazzo Sforza Caeserini
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Samuel Middiman, ca. 1750–1831, British, Lake of Nemi, 1819
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.