Turin from the Portico of the Superga Church
- Part Of:
- Etching and engraving on moderately thick, smooth, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 10 9/16 × 14 3/4 inches (26.8 × 37.5 cm), Plate: 9 × 12 1/16 inches (22.9 × 30.6 cm), and Image: 5 3/4 × 8 7/8 inches (14.6 × 22.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.161"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Hakewill 'Picturesque Tour of Italy' [...] 1820"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "1820"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "([Rowenmouth] May 43)"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner, from a finish'd sketch, by James Hakewill."; lettered, lower center: "Turin, | from the Portico of the Superga Church. | Publish'd March 1,1820, by John Murray, Albemarle Street, London."; lettered, lower right: "Engrav'd by James Mitan."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boy | building | cathedral | church | city | cloud | distant view | dog | landscape | man | mountain | pillar | portico | river | road | tile | woman
- Associated Places:
- Alps | Basilica di Superga | Italy | Piemonte | Po | Superga | Torino | Torino
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Mitan, 1776–1822, British, Turin from the Portico of the Superga Church, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.