Barnard Castle, Durham
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching, 3rd state on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 11/16 × 14 5/16 inches (27.1 × 36.4 cm), Plate: 10 × 11 3/4 inches (25.4 × 29.8 cm), and Image: 6 11/16 × 9 1/8 inches (17 × 23.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.217"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Barnard Castle"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Third state"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "England & Wales"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower center: "Bernard Castle | Durham. | London, Published Decr.1, 1827, for the Proprietoor, by Robert Jennings, Poultry."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Robt. Wallis. | Printed by McQueen."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bridge | castle | landscape (representation) | river
- Associated Places:
- Barnard Castle | Barnard Castle Bridge | Durham | England | Teesdale | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Wallis, 1794–1878, British, Barnard Castle, Durham, 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.