Samuel Johnson, L. L. D.
- Additional Title(s):
Samuel Johnson, L.L.D.
Samuel Johnson, LLD
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- 10 1/4 x 7 5/8 inches (26.1 x 19.4 cm), 9 15/16 x 7 7/16 inches (25.2 x 18.9 cm), and 7 1/8 x 5 5/8 inches (18.1 x 14.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center to upper center, written vertically: "20816 - 330 | 1 = 7 3/4 x 10 3/8 L"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "SAMUEL JOHNSON, L. L. D. | From a Painting by Sir Joshua Reynolds, in the possession of B. Langton Esqr. | Published as the Act directs August 21st. 1786, by T. Longman in Paternoster Row."; lower right: "T. Cook Sculp"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Chauncey B. Tinker, B.A. 1899
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buttons (fasteners) | coat | cravat | man | portrait | wig
- Associated People:
- Johnson, Samuel (1709–1784), author and lexicographer
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Cook, 1744–1818, British, Samuel Johnson, L. L. D, 1786
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.