IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by James C. Allen, active 1821–1831, British, Dunwich, Suffolk, 1819-1826
- Part Of:
Collective Title: Holloway's Continuation of England and Wales (Unpublished)
- Etching and engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 × 14 3/4 inches (27.9 × 37.5 cm), Plate: 8 15/16 × 12 9/16 inches (22.7 × 31.9 cm), Chine collé: 8 7/16 × 12 3/16 inches (21.4 × 31 cm), Image: 6 7/8 × 10 inches (17.5 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.309"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.309"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Etching"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Turner - Allen | For the proposed East Coast, abandoned & never published"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Engraver's Etching Dunwich"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "(Bloomsbury Aug 48)"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner Esqr."; lettered, lower right: "Etched by J.C.Allen."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape (representation) | marine art | ruin | sea
- Associated Places:
- All Saints Church Ruins | Dunwich | England | North Sea | Suffolk | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.