- Additional Title(s):
Lady Hamilton as Nature
Lady Hamilton as Sensibility
- Color-printed stipple engraving and etching with hand coloring in watercolor on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 12 3/8 × 9 5/8 inches (31.5 × 24.5 cm) and Image: 12 1/4 × 9 1/2 inches (31.1 × 24.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Richard EARLOM (aft. Geo. Romney): "Sensibility" (Lady Hamilton)"; lower center: "Emma Hart, Lady Hamilton | Romney | Lady Hamilton as Nature"
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | gesture | gown | headscarf | hills | landscape | muslin | pedestal | personification | reaching | religious and mythological subject | robe | sash | trees | urn | woman
- Associated People:
- Hamilton, Emma, Lady Hamilton (bap. 1765, d. 1815), social celebrity and artist's model
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Earlom, 1743–1822, British, Sensibility, 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.