- The High Street, Southampton
- Lithograph with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 15/16 x 18 11/16 inches (38 x 47.4 cm) and Image: 12 x 17 1/8 inches (30.5 x 43.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "P2426/2 | Drawn on Slaugty(?) R. SCRUTON"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Drawn on St [remainder of this area of lettering torn off paper]"; lower center: "THE HIGH STREET, SOUTHAMPTON. | [coat of arms] | This View is with Permission Dedicated to the Worshipful the Mayor & Corporation of Southampton by their most Obliged humble Servant, | H. BUCHAN. | Pubd May 1828 by H Buchan, Proprietor of the Hants Picture Gallery, Southampton."; lower right: "W. Day lithog: 17 Gate St London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | architecture | balcony | basket | bonnets (hats) | boys | buildings | carriages | children | city | cityscape | coats | cobblestone | columns (architectural elements) | costume | dog (animal) | frock coats | genre subject | girls | gowns | hats | horses (animals) | men | parasols | road | shawls | shirts | shopping | sidewalks | signs | staffs (walking sticks) | steeple | storefronts | stores | street | street lamps | stripes | tail coats | talking | top hats | town | trousers | walking | wheelbarrow | whips (animal equipment) | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Hampshire | Southampton | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Day, 1764–1807, The High Street, Southampton, 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.