- between 1616 and 1621
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 x 6 inches (22.8 x 15.3 cm), Plate: 7 1/16 x 4 9/16 inches (18 x 11.6 cm), and Image: 5 1/2 x 4 7/16 inches (14 x 11.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "f/"; in gray ink, on back, lower left: "axt. (underlined)"; in graphite, on mount, lower right: "Hind, II, p. 192, no. 60 I"; on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "very fine + rare. | O. D. 1 | (~1620) N. | (original mat)"
Lettered in black ink, within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "EFFIGIES ILLUSTRIS UIRI THOMÆ SUTTON ARMIGER, FUNDATOR HOSPITALIS REGIS"; lower left: "Compton Holland excudit."; lower center: "The pourtraiture of the most famous Mr. Thomas | Sutton Esquire, late of Castle-Camps in Cam : | bridgeshire : sometimes Master of ye Ordinance | at Barwicke " and Sole ffounder of the admired | Hospitall called the Kings Hospitall at ye Charterhouse : | who lived 79 yeeres, and died December ano. 1611."; lower right: "R. Elstracke Sculpsit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of John Hay Whitney
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | cartouche | chains | coat of arms | costume | crest | fur | livery collar | man | mustache | nobility | oval | portrait | robe | ruff | shield
- Associated People:
- Sutton, Thomas (1532–1611), founder of the London Charterhouse
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Thomas Sutton, between 1616 and 1621
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.