- between 1616 and 1621
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 x 6 inches (22.8 x 15.3 cm), Plate: 7 1/16 x 4 9/16 inches (18 x 11.6 cm), and Image: 5 1/2 x 4 7/16 inches (14 x 11.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "f/"; in gray ink, on back, lower left: "axt. (underlined)"; in graphite, on mount, lower right: "Hind, II, p. 192, no. 60 I"; on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "very fine + rare. | O. D. 1 | (~1620) N. | (original mat)"
Lettered in black ink, within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "EFFIGIES ILLUSTRIS UIRI THOMÆ SUTTON ARMIGER, FUNDATOR HOSPITALIS REGIS"; lower left: "Compton Holland excudit."; lower center: "The pourtraiture of the most famous Mr. Thomas | Sutton Esquire, late of Castle-Camps in Cam : | bridgeshire : sometimes Master of ye Ordinance | at Barwicke " and Sole ffounder of the admired | Hospitall called the Kings Hospitall at ye Charterhouse : | who lived 79 yeeres, and died December ano. 1611."; lower right: "R. Elstracke Sculpsit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of John Hay Whitney
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | cartouche | chains | coat of arms | costume | crest | fur | livery collar | man | mustache | nobility | oval | portrait | robe | ruff | shield
- Associated People:
- Sutton, Thomas (1532–1611), founder of the London Charterhouse
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Thomas Sutton, between 1616 and 1621
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.