John Harington, second Baron Harington of Exton
- Additional Title(s):
John Harington, 2nd Baron Harington of Exton
- between 1610 and 1614
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 8 3/8 x 6 5/16 inches (21.2 x 16 cm), Plate: 7 13/16 x 5 11/16 inches (19.8 x 14.5 cm), and Image: 5 5/8 x 5 9/16 inches (14.3 x 14.1 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, on back, lower left: "ix"; in graphite, on back, lower right: "£[...] 4 (crossed out)"; in graphite, on mount, lower right: "Hind, II. p. 176, no. 27 I"; on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "Prince Henry writes 1609 to Sir John. "when you see me you will | find me your better at Tennis." (note from original mat)"
collector's stamp of E. Rose Tunno, in black ink, on back, center
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper right, in ribbon beneath shield: "NO : DO FIR MO"; within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "DOMINUS IOHANNES HARINGTONUS BARO DE EXTON . ÆTAT : 22."; within image, lower left: "Hen : Balaam excudit."; within image, lower right: "R: Elstrack Sculpsit."; lower center: "Religion, Learning, Language, Knowledge, Courage, Arts, Noble Parts, So Manie (at no More ag[...] | MARS, HERMES, PHOEBUS, & chast THESEUS Sonne; All mett; All made This PHOENIX HARINGTON | Rich Ornament, Rare Honor of our Clime, | Mirror of Nature, Miracle of Grace, | For all faire Pledges of a Hopefull Prime; | Beyond his Yeers, before his Rank & Race. | Heroik Pattern for all After-Tyme | To imitate, and for our Owne to trace : | Compleat in Parts of Bodie and of Minde; | Fixt in all Vertue, to no Vice inclin'd | An Humble Noble; an un-wavering Youth; | Un doubling Courtier; Undisparidg'd Knight | Fearing but God; loving but Good and Truth | Shuning but Hell; Seeking but Hea'vn, & Right | Seeming but what he was (o, word of Ruth;) | A Gratious Starr: Now fixt in Glorie Bright | O Happie Hee! So Happie be The Knot | Of Those deer Neerest to His Love and Lot"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of John Hay Whitney
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cape | cartouche | coat of arms | costume | crest | doublet | embroidery | fur | lion | man | nobility | oval | portrait | rooster | ruff | shield
- Associated People:
- Harington, John, first Baron Harington of Exton (1539/40–1613), courtier and landowner
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, John Harington, second Baron Harington of Exton, between 1610 and 1614
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.