- Sophia, Honour, and the Chambermaid
- Stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 5/8 x 10 7/8 inches (39.7 x 27.7 cm), Plate: 11 5/16 x 8 7/16 inches (28.8 x 21.4 cm), and Image: 8 1/8 x 6 9/16 inches (20.7 x 16.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "3609 | [...]"
Lettered, lower center under image: "Invented, Drawn, and Engraved by Js. GILLRAY, 1st Pl: Publish'd by T.MACKLIN No39,Fleet Street, Augt1st1780."; lower center: "Sophia, Honour, & the Chambermaid, | 'He told us, Madam (to to be sure it's all a Lye,) that your Ladyship was Dying for Love of the | 'Young Squire, and that he was going to the Wars, to get rid of you.' | Fieldings Tom Jones, Book X, Chap.5"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bed | bedroom | book | candle | candlestick | dressing table | hats | illustration | lady | literary theme | maid | moon | night | novel | servants | The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, Sophia, Honour, and the Chambermaid, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.