IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, Sophia, Honour, and the Chambermaid, 1780
Sophia, Honour, and the Chambermaid
- Additional Title(s):
Sophia, Honour, & the Chambermaid: 'Tom Jones,' Book X, Chapter V
- Part Of:
- Stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 5/8 x 10 7/8 inches (39.7 x 27.7 cm), Plate: 11 5/16 x 8 7/16 inches (28.8 x 21.4 cm), Image: 8 1/8 x 6 9/16 inches (20.7 x 16.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "3609 | [...]"
Lettered, lower center under image: "Invented, Drawn, and Engraved by Js. GILLRAY, 1st Pl: Publish'd by T.MACKLIN No39,Fleet Street, Augt1st1780."; lower center: "Sophia, Honour, & the Chambermaid, | 'He told us, Madam (to to be sure it's all a Lye,) that your Ladyship was Dying for Love of the | 'Young Squire, and that he was going to the Wars, to get rid of you.' | Fieldings Tom Jones, Book X, Chap.5"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bed | bedroom | book | candle | candlestick | dressing table | hats | illustration | lady | literary theme | maid | moon | night | novel | servants | The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.