Benjamin West and His Son Raphael
- Additional Title(s):
Benjn West Esqr. R.A. Histæ Pictor and his Son Rl West
- Mezzotint and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped to plate): 15 3/8 x 10 15/16 inches (39.1 x 27.8 cm) and Image: 13 7/8 x 10 7/8 inches (35.2 x 27.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "C 10310"; in brown ink, on back, lower left: "N1679[...]"; in graphite, on back, lower center: "Benjamin West + son. | West [...]"; on back, lower right: "137"; in brown ink, on back, lower right: "10..6"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "B. West, R. A. pinxit, London, 1773."; lower center: "Publish'd Feby. 15th. 1775, by V. Green."; lower right: "V. Green, Engraver in Metzotinto to his Majesty, fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | boy | child | cravat | drawing (activity) | father | fur | man | pen | portfolio | portrait | ruffles | self-portrait | son | tondo | writing (processes)
- Associated People:
- West, Benjamin (1738–1820), American history painter active in Britain
West, Raphael Lamar (1766–1850), history painter
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, Benjamin West and His Son Raphael, 1775
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.