- Britannia Allegory
- between 1743 and 1747
- Line engraving and etching; letterpress on verso on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper (page in book)
- Sheet: 6 1/4 x 6 1/16 inches (15.8 x 15.4 cm), Plate: 5 7/8 x 5 7/8 inches (15 x 14.9 cm), and Image: 5 9/16 x 5 1/2 inches (14.2 x 14 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "S. Wale inv. | C. Grignion Sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | armor | books | child | goddess | lion | man | mythology | personification | prisoner | pyramid (tomb) | religious and mythological subject | scale (weighing device) | scythe | shield | tablet | tailpiece | war | wings | women | writing (processes)
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Grignion, 1717–1810, British, Britannia Allegory, between 1743 and 1747
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.