Mouth of a Brook, no. 1
- Former Title(s):
The Mouth of a Brook
- Additional Title(s):
Les Bords d'un Ruisseau
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- 6 1/8 x 8 15/16 inches (15.5 x 22.7 cm), 6 x 8 13/16 inches (15.2 x 22.4 cm), and 6 x 8 13/16 inches (15.2 x 22.4 cm)
Inscribed in pale black ink in Francis Seymour Haden's hand, center left to lower right on back: "24. D. Mouth of a Brook. | P[...] H. Only four impressions taken [?and] plate destroyed" (partially underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "26 H"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "a 48523"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "HM." (underlined)
Marked in purple ink, upper right on back: pentagon represented in outline, stamped (this is the collector's mark of Albert W Scholle); marked in blue ink, lower left on back: "HM" (this is the collector's mark of Howard Mansfield)
Lettered lower left within image: "F S Haden 1859"
Signed in pale black ink, lower right on back: "Seymour Haden"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- brook | bushes | foliage | forest | landscape | leaves | reeds | reflections | shadow | shrubs | stream | water | woods
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Ireland | Tipperary
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, Mouth of a Brook, no. 1, 1859
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.