- William Augustus Bowles, Chief of the Embassy from the Creeke & Cherokee Nations
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 16 3/4 x 11 7/16 inches (42.5 x 29 cm) and Image: 14 3/4 x 11 5/16 inches (37.5 x 28.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "TR865 | c19139 (underlined)"; on back, lower right: "proof | 9/-"; in brown ink, on back, lower right: "53853"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Printed by T Hardy"; lower center: "WILLIAM AUGUSTUS BOWLES | Chief of the Embassy from the Creek & Cherokee Nations. | Published as the Act directs, March, 26. 1791. by T. Hardy, No 4 Great Marlborough Street."; lower right: "Engrav'd by I Grozer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- aigrette | armband | band (collar) | cloak | feathers | hat | jewel | man | Native American | portrait | ruffles | satchel | wampum
- Associated People:
- Bowles, William Augustus (1763–1805), American adventurer and director general of the Creek nation
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Joseph Grozer, ca. 1755–1798, British, William Augustus Bowles, Chief of the Embassy from the Creeke & Cherokee Nations, 1791
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.