- The Breaking Up of the Agamemnon, no. 2
- after 1880
- Etching and drypoint on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 3/16 x 21 7/8 inches (38.6 x 55.5 cm), Plate: 10 3/16 x 18 7/8 inches (25.9 x 47.9 cm), and Image: 9 13/16 x 18 3/8 inches (24.9 x 46.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "No 53. Breaking up of Agamemnon | <No 53. A Mezzotint of>"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "51.16.59"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "H 229 Trial [...]" (cut off the edge of the sheet); inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "X1790 | ER"
Watermarked lower right on back (when read the correct way around): "J WHATMAN | 1871"
Lettered lower left within image: "Seymour Haden 1886" [?1880]
Signed lower right below plate marks: "Seymour Haden" (partially underlined); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boats | cargo vessels | cityscape | containers | domes | dreadnought | estuary | flag | harbour | hospital | marine art | masts | men | mooring | navy | posts | rigging | river | ropes | sails | sea | seamen | ships | warships | water | waves (natural events)
- Associated Places:
- Deptford | England | Europe | Greater London | Greenwich | Thames | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, The Breaking Up of the Agamemnon, no. 2, after 1880
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.