Benjamin West, P.R.A.
- Line engraving, etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 20 7/8 x 15 3/8 inches (53 x 39.1 cm), Sheet (chine collé): 20 1/2 x 14 15/16 inches (52 x 38 cm), and Image: 16 3/4 x 12 3/4 inches (42.6 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "C19191 | C 12881 | a5-"; lower right: "2382"
Lettered, lower center: "ENGRAVED BY J. FITTLER, A.R.A FROM A PICTURE PAINTED BY G.H.HARLOW. | To his Royal Highness (image of Greek mythology down center of lettering) the Prince Regent, Patrea(?) | The governors and Members of the BRITISH INSTITUTION for | Promoting the FIne Arts This Portrait of | BENJAMIN WEST, P.R.A. | Is most respectfully Dedicated by their obedient humble servant JAMES FITTLER. | Published as the Act Directs, April 8 1817 by J. Fittler Upper CHarlotte Street London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | arts | bald | books | cravat | cuffs | dedication (document) | eyeglasses | illustration | mythology | painter | painting (visual work) | portrait | president | relief | robe | shadows | sketch | velvet
- Associated People:
- West, Benjamin (1738–1820), American history painter active in Britain
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.