- Benjamin West, P.R.A.
- Line engraving, etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 20 7/8 x 15 3/8 inches (53 x 39.1 cm), Sheet: 20 1/2 x 14 15/16 inches (52 x 38 cm), and Image: 16 3/4 x 12 3/4 inches (42.6 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "C19191 | C 12881 | a5-"; lower right: "2382"
Lettered, lower center: "ENGRAVED BY J. FITTLER, A.R.A FROM A PICTURE PAINTED BY G.H.HARLOW. | To his Royal Highness (image of Greek mythology down center of lettering) the Prince Regent, Patrea(?) | The governors and Members of the BRITISH INSTITUTION for | Promoting the FIne Arts This Portrait of | BENJAMIN WEST, P.R.A. | Is most respectfully Dedicated by their obedient humble servant JAMES FITTLER. | Published as the Act Directs, April 8 1817 by J. Fittler Upper CHarlotte Street London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | arts | bald | books | cravat | cuffs | dedication (document) | eyeglasses | illustration | mythology | painter | painting (visual work) | portrait | president | relief | robe | shadows | sketch | velvet
- Associated People:
- West, Benjamin (1738–1820), American history painter active in Britain
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Fittler, 1758–1835, British, Benjamin West, P.R.A, 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.