Benjamin West, P.R.A.
- Line engraving, etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 20 7/8 × 15 3/8 inches (53 × 39.1 cm), Sheet: 20 1/2 × 14 15/16 inches (52 × 38 cm), and Image: 16 3/4 × 12 3/4 inches (42.6 × 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "C19191 | C 12881 | a5-"; lower right: "2382"
Lettered, lower center: "ENGRAVED BY J. FITTLER, A.R.A FROM A PICTURE PAINTED BY G.H.HARLOW. | To his Royal Highness (image of Greek mythology down center of lettering) the Prince Regent, Patrea(?) | The governors and Members of the BRITISH INSTITUTION for | Promoting the FIne Arts This Portrait of | BENJAMIN WEST, P.R.A. | Is most respectfully Dedicated by their obedient humble servant JAMES FITTLER. | Published as the Act Directs, April 8 1817 by J. Fittler Upper CHarlotte Street London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | arts | bald | books | cravat | cuffs | dedication (document) | eyeglasses | illustration | mythology | painter | painting (visual work) | portrait | president | relief | robe | shadows | sketch | velvet
- Associated People:
- West, Benjamin (1738–1820), American history painter active in Britain
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.