John Armstrong, M.D.
- between 1760 and 1780
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 16 15/16 x 11 1/8 inches (43 x 28.3 cm), Plate: 13 15/16 x 9 15/16 inches (35.4 x 25.3 cm), and Image: 12 5/16 x 9 15/16 inches (31.3 x 25.3 cm)
Marked in blue ink, on back, center, collector's stamp: Paul Mellon Collection
Lettered, lower left: "Sr: Joshua Reynolds Pinx,,t"; lower center: "JOHN ARMSTRONG M:D:~ | The Suffrage of the wise, | The Praise that's worth Ambition, is attain'd | By Sense alone, & Dignity of Mind."; lower right: "Edw.d Fisher Sculp,,t"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- author | coat | cravat | gaze | physician | physician | poet | portrait | posing | science | solemn | thoughtful | vest | wig
- Associated People:
- Armstrong, John (1709-1779), physician, author/poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Edward Fisher, 1722–1785, British, John Armstrong, M.D, between 1760 and 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.