William, Duke of Devonshire
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 1/8 x 11 inches (38.4 x 28 cm), Plate: 13 3/4 x 9 3/4 inches (35 x 24.7 cm), and Image: 12 5/16 x 9 11/16 inches (31.3 x 24.6 cm)
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, lower center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "J. Reynolds pinx."; lower center: "His Grace William Duke of Devonshire | 1755. | Printed for Tho,, Bowles in St,, Paul's Church Yard, & Jno,, Bowles & Son at the Black Horse in Cornhill."; lower right: "J. Faber fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- drapery | flounces | frock coat | man | medal | nobility | portrait | star | The Most Noble Order of the Garter | wig
- Associated People:
- Cavendish, William, third Duke of Devonshire (1698–1755), nobleman and Whig politician
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, William, Duke of Devonshire, 1755
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.