Princess Sophia Matilda, Daughter to their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 12 3/4 × 13 inches (32.4 × 33 cm) and Image: 10 15/16 × 12 7/8 inches (27.8 × 32.7 cm)
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Lettered, inside image, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds"; lettered, below image, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds."; lettered, inside image, lower right: "Engraved by Thos.:Watson"; lettered, below image, lower right: "Engrav'd by Thomas Watson."; lettered, inside image, lower center: "Publish'd Jany.1st.1775, for W.Stropshire,No.158 &T:Watson No.142 New Bond Street"; lettered, below image, lower center: "PRINCESS SOPHIA MATILDA, | Daughter to eheir Royal Highnesses, the DUKE and DUCHESS of GLOUCESTER."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Princess Sophia Matilda of Gloucester (1773 – 1844)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Watson, 1743–1781, British, Princess Sophia Matilda, Daughter to their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, 1775
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.