- Florence, from the Chiesa al Monte
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/2 × 14 1/2 inches (26.7 × 36.8 cm), Plate: 9 × 12 inches (22.9 × 30.5 cm), and Image: 5 1/2 × 8 11/16 inches (14 × 22.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.158"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Hakewill's Picturesque Tour of Italy 1820"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "([full count] [april 40])"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner, R.A. from a sketch by j. Hakewill."; lettered, lower center: "Florence, | from the Chiesa al Monte. | Publish'd as the act directs, June 1 1820, by John Murray, Albemarle St. London."; lettered, lower right: "Engrav'd by George Cooke."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | basilica | bridge | building | cityscape | infant | kneeling | lute | man | mountain | priest | religious and mythological subject | river | sitting | staff | tower | tree | water | woman
- Associated Places:
- Arno | Firenze | Firenze | Italia | Ponte Vecchio | San Miniato al Monte | Toscana
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
George Cooke, 1781–1834, British, Florence, from the Chiesa al Monte, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.