James I of England and VI of Scotland
- ca. 1610
- Watercolor, gouache and gold, pen and black ink on vellum
- Sheet: 2 5/8 x 2 1/8 inches (6.7 x 5.4 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in gilt lower left to upper center to lower right: "JACOBVS DEI GRATIA MAGNA BRITANIA FRANCIA ET HIBERNIA REX", in artist's hand in pen and black ink lower center: "Caesar dando subleuando ignoscendo, | Gloriam adeptus est NH"
Signed in pen and brow ink lower left: "NH"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors-Miniatures
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Associated People:
- James VI and I (1566–1625), king of Scotland, England, and Ireland
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Nicholas Hilliard, ca. 1547–1619, British, James I of England and VI of Scotland, ca. 1610
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.