Apuleia in Search of Apuleius
- Part Of:
- between 1813 and 1823
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/8 × 15 3/4 inches (28.3 × 40 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 3/8 × 10 5/8 inches (18.7 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "72"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "Turner - W.Day"; lower center: "Unpublished Liber Studiorum | Appulia in search of Appulus"; lower right: "(sometimes called the Premium Landscape)"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | bridge | city | hill | landscape | literary theme | man | Metamorphoses | metamorphoses of male persons into trees | mountain | pillar | religious and mythological subject | river | rock | sheep | shepherdess | sitting | the Apulian shepherd changed into an oleaster: the Apulian shepherd changed into an oleaster as punishment for mocking dancing nymphs (Ovid, Metamorphoses XIV 521) | tree | woman | woods
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Apuleia in Search of Apuleius, between 1813 and 1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.