- Christ and the Woman of Samaria
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 × 17 3/8 inches (29.2 × 44.1 cm), Plate: 8 1/8 × 11 3/8 inches (20.6 × 28.9 cm), and Image: 7 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (18.1 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "F. 71 III of 5"; lower center: "(From the John Sheepshanks collection, 1863)"; lower right: "lsc B.7396 | 2"
Lettered above image: "H"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by I.M.W.Turner Esq R.A.P.P. | Engraved by S.W.Reynolds. | CHRIST AND THE WOMAN OF SAMARIA | Pub. Jan. 1.1819. by I.M.W.Turner Queen Anne Street West."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | Bible | building | bush | Christ explaining his doctrine to women and children | city | gate | landscape | man | New Testament | pointing | preaching | public life of Christ: from his baptism until the Passion | religious and mythological subject | road | ruins | stone | talking | the woman of Samaria (John 4:4-42) | tree | water well | woman
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Israel | Samaria
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Christ and the Woman of Samaria, 1819
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.