IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Rispah: 2nd Book of Samuel, Chap. 21, 1812
Rispah: 2nd Book of Samuel, Chap. 21
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 16 3/8 inches (27.3 × 41.6 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), Image: 7 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (18.1 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "(46)"; lower right: "3rd State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Strong Third State | (Watermark J. Whatman 1810) | (Z.W. Aug 42)"
Watermark: J. Whatman 1810; collector's mark: "F. Hurlbutt | Collection"
Lettered above image "H"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by J.M.W. Turner Esqr. R.A. | A | Engraved by R. Dunkarton | RISPAH | 2nd Book of Samuel, Chap. 21 | Published April 28. 1812, by J.M.W. Turner, Queen Ann Street West"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Bible | bird | body | bundle | cloud | corpse | crown | field | hood | landscape | lion | moon | moonlight | mother | night | protection | religious and mythological subject | river | riverbank | Rizpah, in mourning garments watches over the dead, keeping off birds and wild beasts | rock | shadow | shroud | skeleton | torch | tree | trees | wheat | woman
- Associated Places:
- Israel | Jerusalem
- Associated People:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.