Rispah: 2nd Book of Samuel, Chap. 21
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 16 3/8 inches (27.3 × 41.6 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (18.1 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "(46)"; lower right: "3rd State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Strong Third State | (Watermark J. Whatman 1810) | (Z.W. Aug 42)"
Watermark: J. Whatman 1810; collector's mark: "F. Hurlbutt | Collection"
Lettered above image "H"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by J.M.W. Turner Esqr. R.A. | A | Engraved by R. Dunkarton | RISPAH | 2nd Book of Samuel, Chap. 21 | Published April 28. 1812, by J.M.W. Turner, Queen Ann Street West"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Bible | bird | body | bundle | cloud | corpse | crown | field | hood | landscape | lion | moon | moonlight | mother | night | protection | religious and mythological subject | river | riverbank | Rizpah, in mourning garments watches over the dead, keeping off birds and wild beasts | rock | shadow | shroud | skeleton | torch | tree | trees | wheat | woman
- Associated Places:
- Israel | Jerusalem
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Rispah: 2nd Book of Samuel, Chap. 21, 1812
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.