The Drawing of the Clyde
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 8 1/8 × 11 1/4 inches (20.6 × 28.6 cm), Image: 7 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (18.1 × 26.4 cm), and Mount: 11 1/8 × 15 1/8 inches (28.3 × 38.4 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, lower left: "18"; lower right: "3rd State"; inscribed on verso of mount in graphite, lower center: "Early Third State"; lower right: "[...].W. Jan 1940"
Lettered above image: "E.P."; below image: "Drawn & Etched by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by C.Turner | Drawing of the CLYDE, In the possession of J.M.W.Turner. | London, Published March 29, 1809, by C.Turner, No.50, Warren Street, Fitzroy Square."; in two columns, lower right: "f | I | 3 | 4 | 2 | 3"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cascade | cliff | nudes | river | rocks (landforms)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, The Drawing of the Clyde, 1809
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.