Ships in a Breeze
- Additional Title(s):
The Egremont Sea-piece
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 8 × 11 inches (20.3 × 27.9 cm), Image: 7 1/8 × 10 1/8 inches (18.1 × 25.7 cm), and Mount: 10 3/4 × 15 1/8 inches (27.3 × 38.4 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, upper left: "10"; lower left: "10"; lower right: "4th State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "(22)"; on mount in graphite, lower center: "Ships in a Breeze | The Egremont sea piece | Fourth State"; lower right: "[...] Nov 1931"
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn & Etchd by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas. Turner | In the possession of the Earl of Egremont 6 by 5 | London, Published Feby. 20, 1808 by C. Turner No.50 Warren Street Fitzroy Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clouds | sailboats | sea | waves (natural events)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Ships in a Breeze, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.