Ships in a Breeze
- Additional Title(s):
The Egremont Sea-piece
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 8 × 11 inches (20.3 × 27.9 cm), Image: 7 1/8 × 10 1/8 inches (18.1 × 25.7 cm), and Mount: 10 3/4 × 15 1/8 inches (27.3 × 38.4 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, upper left: "10"; lower left: "10"; lower right: "4th State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "(22)"; on mount in graphite, lower center: "Ships in a Breeze | The Egremont sea piece | Fourth State"; lower right: "[...] Nov 1931"
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn & Etchd by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas. Turner | In the possession of the Earl of Egremont 6 by 5 | London, Published Feby. 20, 1808 by C. Turner No.50 Warren Street Fitzroy Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clouds | sailboats | sea | waves (natural events)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Ships in a Breeze, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.