- Mt. St. Gothard
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 5/8 × 15 3/4 inches (27 × 40 cm), Plate: 8 1/8 × 11 1/2 inches (20.6 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "9"; lower right: "6th State"; inscribed on verso in brown ink, upper center: "9."; in graphite, lower center: "with M (1) of Gothard"; lower right: "3rd State | 6th State (Finberg) | 5391f | nmyl"
Lettered above image: "M.S."; below image: "Drawn & Etchd by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas. Turner | Mt. St. GOTHARD | London, Published Feby. 20 1808, by C. Turner, No. 50, Warren Street Fitzroy Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cliff | donkey | mountains | rocks (landforms) | tunnel
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Franny Moyle, Turner : The Extraordinary Life and Momentous Times of J.M.W. Turner, New York, 2016, p. 218, NJ18 T85 M79 2016 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Mt. St. Gothard, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.