The Lonely Tower
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 10 1/4 x 14 1/16 inches (26.1 x 35.7 cm), 7 3/8 x 9 7/8 inches (18.7 x 25.1 cm), and 6 1/2 x 9 1/8 inches (16.5 x 23.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "4th [?P] B | 4 Canvas only -"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "NK 27139"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Lonely Tower"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "SA 1/2"; inscribed in graphite, center on back: "X"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "1773" (encircled)
Watermark on sheet: "PORTFOLIO | M B M"
Lettered lower left within image: "S S m . Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | astronomy | cart | cow | genre subject | hill | labor | landscape | literary theme | masonry | moon | night | owl | ox | path | science | sheep | shepherds | stars | tower (building division) | trees | wall
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Stonehenge | United Kingdom | Wiltshire
- Associated People:
- Milton, John (1608–1674), poet and polemicist
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Connections (Yale Center for British Art, 2011-05-26 - 2011-09-11) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, p. 319, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA) [YCBA]