The Cypress Grove
- between 1880 and 1883
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/8 x 14 1/8 inches (25.7 x 35.9 cm), Plate: 5 3/16 x 7 3/8 inches (13.2 x 18.7 cm), and Image: 3 15/16 x 5 7/8 inches (10 x 15 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "The Cypress Grove. 1st State." (underlined); inscribed in graphite in a different hand [?], lower center: "5th Eclogue of Virgil"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "L | F"
Watermark on sheet: "W KING"
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- astronomy | cattle | cows | cypress | death | figures | genre subject | geology | grove | mountain | mourners | night | science | stars | trees | volcano | waterfall
- Associated Places:
- Daphni | Europe | Greece
- Associated People:
- Publius Vergilius Maro (70 BC–19 BC), classical Roman poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Cypress Grove, between 1880 and 1883
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.