IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), Moeris and Galatea, 1880-1883
Moeris and Galatea
- Additional Title(s):
- Part Of:
Collective Title: English Version
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 x 14 1/2in. (25.4 x 36.8cm), Plate: 5 1/4 x 7 3/8 inches (13.3 x 18.8 cm), Image: 4 x 6 inches (10.1 x 15.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "30" (written vertically); inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Samuel Palmer. Original Etching"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "'Milking Time'"; inscribed in graphite in a different hand, lower center: "(Moeris and Galatea) 1st State before lettering."; inscribed in graphite in a different hand, lower left: "son"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "88"
Watermark on sheet
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | cattle | cliffs | cows | creeper | figures | goats | lake | landscape | light | literary theme | ocean | oxen | pool | reeds | river | rocks (landforms) | sea | sheep | stream | sun | water
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.