- Moeris and Galatea
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 x 14 1/2in. (25.4 x 36.8cm), Plate: 5 1/4 x 7 3/8 inches (13.3 x 18.8 cm), and Image: 4 x 6 inches (10.1 x 15.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "30" (written vertically); inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Samuel Palmer. Original Etching"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "'Milking Time'"; inscribed in graphite in a different hand, lower center: "(Moeris and Galatea) 1st State before lettering."; inscribed in graphite in a different hand, lower left: "son"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "88"
Watermark on sheet
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | cattle | cliffs | cows | creeper | figures | goats | lake | landscape | light | literary theme | ocean | oxen | pool | reeds | river | rocks (landforms) | sea | sheep | stream | sun | water
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), Moeris and Galatea, 1880-1883
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.