The Goddess of Discord
- between 1859 and 1861
- Etching and line engraving on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/8 × 12 7/8 inches (23.2 × 32.7 cm) and Image: 7 5/8 × 10 3/8 inches (19.4 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R. 695"; lower left: "BRIT INSTITUTION 1806 TURNER'S GALLERY 1808"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "The Goddess of Discord choosing the apple of contention in the Garden of the Hesperides"
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. TURNER R.A. PINX"; lower center: "THE GODDESS OF DISCORD. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE NATIONAL GALLERY"; lower right: "T.A. PRIOR SCULPT"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- religious and mythological subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Abiel Prior, 1809–1886, British, The Goddess of Discord, between 1859 and 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.