Temple of Jupiter Panhellenius, Aegina
- between 1859 and 1861
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 × 12 3/4 inches (22.9 × 32.4 cm), Image: 6 7/8 × 10 3/8 inches (17.5 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R 709"; lower right: "R.A 1816"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "The Temple of Jupiter Panhellenius in the Island of Aegina, with the Greek National Dance of the Romaika The acropolis of Athens in the distance | Painted from a sketch taken by H. Gally Knight Esq. 1810 (with 8 lines of poetry)"
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. TURNER R.A. PINXT."; lower center: "TEMPLE OF JUPITER PANHELLENIUS. | IN THE COLLECTION OF WYNNE ELLIS, ESQ."; lower right: "J.B. ALLEN, SCULPT."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | religious and mythological subject
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Baylis Allen, 1803–1876, British, Temple of Jupiter Panhellenius, Aegina, between 1859 and 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.