- For the Sexes: The Gates of Paradise, Plate 18, "I have said to the Worm . . . ."
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Spine: 13 3/4 inches (34.9 cm), Sheet: 13 3/8 x 9 3/8 inches (34 x 23.8 cm), and Plate: 2 5/8 x 2 inches (6.7 x 5.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite lower center: "16. Thou'rt my Mother, from the womb; | Wife, Sister, Daughter, to the tomb: | Weaving to dreams the Sexual strife | And weeping o'er the Web of Life. | Blake's 'Key'."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- branches | cane | darkness | dead | death | literary theme | night | religious and mythological subject | sitting | staff (walking stick) | stick | text
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Blake, 1757–1827, British, For the Sexes: The Gates of Paradise, Plate 18, "I have said to the Worm . . . .", 1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.