For the Sexes: The Gates of Paradise, Plate 9, "Alas!"
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Spine: 13 3/4 inches (34.9 cm), Sheet: 13 3/8 x 9 3/8 inches (34 x 23.8 cm), and Plate: 3 x 1 7/8 inches (7.6 x 4.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite lower center: "7. One dies! Alas! the living and dead! | One is slain! and one is fled! | Blake's 'Key'."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bushes | children | grass | hat | leaf | men | nudes | text | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Blake, 1757–1827, British, For the Sexes: The Gates of Paradise, Plate 9, "Alas!", 1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.