- Alfred the Great Dividing His Loaf with the Pilgrim
- Engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, blued white, laid paper, mounted on, thick, rough, blued white, laid paper
- Mount: 22 1/16 × 30 inches (56 × 76.2 cm), Sheet: 19 1/4 × 24 11/16 inches (48.9 × 62.7 cm), and Image: 17 1/16 × 23 1/2 inches (43.3 × 59.7 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by B. West, Historical Painter to His Majesty. | Size of the Picture"; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Willm Sharp. | 7 F.. 8 1/2 I.by 9 F. 1 1/4 I. long."; lettered, lower center: "To the Master: Wardens, Assistants & Livery of the Worshipful Company of Stationers | This Print of ALFRED the GREAT dividing his LOAF with the PILGRIM, Engraved from | THE PICTURE at Stationers Hall (Pesented to them in 1780) is dedicated By their most obedient humble Servant- John Boydell. | Published as the Act directs November 9th 1782- By John Boydell, Engraver in Cheapside London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Sharp, 1749–1824, British, Alfred the Great Dividing His Loaf with the Pilgrim, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.