IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
William Byrne, 1743–1805, British, Carnarvon Castle, 1775
- Line engraving and etching with hand coloring on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 1/2 x 24 1/4 inches (44.5 x 61.6 cm), Plate: 15 3/4 x 21 1/4 inches (40 x 54 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "<W>< . . . >"; inscribed, verso, in graphite, lower left: "16400 | 9 4/20"; in graphite, lower right: "(IR74/657)"
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Lettered lower left: "Richd. Wilson pinxt."; lower left: "CARNARVON CASTLE, | The Birth Place of Edward II. in North Wales."; lower right: "LE CHATEAU DE CARNARVON, | ou le Roy Edouard II. était né, dans la Principauté de Galles."; lower right: "Willm. Byrne Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | castles | cattle | hills | lakes | walls | women
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.