Mr. Garrick in "The Farmer's Return"
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 x 19 7/8 inches (43.2 x 50.5 cm), Plate: 17 x 19 7/8 inches (43.2 x 50.5 cm), Image: 15 3/4 x 19 7/8 inches (40 x 50.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Mr. Garrick in the Farmer's Return."
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Zoffanÿ Pinxt."; lower center: "Jn Boydell excudt. 1766"; lower right: "Haid fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actors | actresses | basket | boy | candle | cane | chairs | children | dishes | farmer | fireplace | girl | house | interior | kettle | kitchen | lantern | literary theme | man | mug | pipe | pitcher | plate | plays by David Garrick (1717–1779), actor and playwright | strainer | table | The Farmer's Return from London, 1762 | theater (discipline) | woman
- Associated People:
- Garrick, David (1717–1779), actor and playwright
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
John Chaloner Smith, British mezzotinto portraits, being a descriptive catalogue of these engravings from the introduction of the art to the early part of the present century : arranged according to the engravers, the inscriptions given at full length, and the variations of state precisely set forth : acc , Martino Pub., Mansfield Centre, CT, 2004, v. 2, pp. 615-16, Haid no. 3, NE1816.G7 S58 2004 [ORBIS]