- Former Title(s):
The Virgin, Child, and John the Baptist
- Additional Title(s):
The Virgin and Child
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper laid on modern mount
- Mount: 15 1/4 x 11 1/16 inches (38.7 x 28.1 cm), Sheet: 12 11/16 x 9 13/16 inches (32.3 x 24.9 cm), Plate: 10 5/8 x 9 3/16 inches (27 x 23.4 cm), and Image (tundo): 7 9/16 x 7 9/16 inches (19.2 x 19.2 cm)
Inscribed in orange chalk [?], lower center: "prima prova, gliene mandero un altra con la letteva"; in graphite, on mount, lower center: "the writing by Bartolozzi"; lower right: "(IR31/131) | C131 II/III | Iner 2018 - 2020"; on back, lower right: "2018 - 2020."
Lettered in red ink, along lower left border of circular image: "Raffael pincs."; along lower right border of circular image: "F. Bartolozzi del. et Sculps."; lower center: "Publishd according to Act of Parliament the 15 of april 1778"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- adoration of the Christ-child by Mary; John the Baptist present | axe | books | chair | children | circle (plane figure) | claws | costume | cross (object) | laurel | Mary and the Christ-child with John the Baptist (as child) | mother | portrait | prayer | shield | son | table | talons | urn | wings | women
- Associated People:
- John the Baptist (c. 6 BC–c. AD 36)
St. John the Baptist
The Virgin Mary
Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), The Virgin, 1778
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.