Paris and Oenone
- Additional Title(s):
Paris and Oenone Carving their Names into a Tree
- Mezzotint and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 7/8 x 9 7/16 inches (30.2 x 24 cm), Plate: 9 5/8 x 7 5/8 inches (24.4 x 19.4 cm), and Image: 7 3/8 x 6 1/16 inches (18.7 x 15.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, lower left: "AV"; lower center: "Paris + Oenone"; inscribed in graphite, on back, "Juer 1541"
Lettered, brown ink, lower center left along picture: "Angelica Kauffman pinx.t"; lower center right along picture: "F. Bartolozzi Sculpsit."; lower center: "Published as the Act directs, May 4th 1780 by F. Bartolozzi, No. [...] Bentick Street."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- carving | carving | clasp | cloth | curls | etching (printing process) | forest | Greek | hair | lovers | man | mythology | nymph | Paris and Oenone carving their names in a tree | Paris and Oenone, the nymph | portrait | religious and mythological subject | woman | youth
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Paris and Oenone, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.