Ophelia: There's Rue for You, and Here's Some for Me
- Additional Title(s):
'Hamlet,' Act IV, Scene V
- Part Of:
- Stipple engraving and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 x 8 9/16 inches (27.9 x 21.7 cm), Plate: 10 9/16 x 8 1/8 inches (26.8 x 20.7 cm), and Image: 4 1/2 x 3 5/8 inches (11.5 x 9.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "Juer 258 | (IR31/1860)"
Lettered in black ink, along lower left border of oval image: "James Nixon Pinzit."; along lower right border of oval image: "F. Bartolozzi Sculpt"; lower center: "Ophelia. | There's rue for you, and here's some for me. | London, Publish'd April 8th, 1784 by W. Dickinson Engraver & Printseller No. 158 Bond Street."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | bow (costume accessory) | costume | crying | flowers (plants) | Hamlet, play by William Shakespeare | leaves | literary theme | love | oval | play | portrait | sadness | sorrow | tear | theater (discipline) | tragedy | woman
- Associated People:
- Ophelia (character in Hamlet)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Ophelia: There's Rue for You, and Here's Some for Me, 1784
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.