- Medallions of F. Hutcheson and L. Natter
- Mezzotint, stipple engraving, and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 1/2 x 10 7/16 inches (36.9 x 26.5 cm), Plate: 11 7/8 x 8 15/16 inches (30.2 x 22.7 cm), and Image: 10 9/16 x 3 11/16 inches (26.9 x 9.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "(IR31/2412)"; on back lower right: "662 [...]3 | Juer 1855 (1855 crossed out) 15/"
Lettered, upper center, within tondo image, along outline: "FRANC · HVTCHESON · PHIL · MOR · IN · ACAD · GLASGV · Æ · PVB · PROF"; center, within tondo image, between image and surrounding border: " I P | SE | FECIT."; center: "LAURENCE NATTER LITHOGRAPHER."; lower center, within tondo image, along outline: "NON · SVO · SED · PVBLICO · LVGET · DAMNO. | OBIIT MDCCXIVI"; lower left: "Ant. Selvi, Florents. Fect."; lower center: "IN THE COLLECTION OF THOMAS HOLLIS ESQR. F. R. AND A. S. S. | Published as the Act directs Jany. 6th. 1780."; lower right: "F. Bartolozzi. Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- books | busts | butterfly | circles (plane figures) | coat | costume | cravat | lithographer | medalist | medallions (medals) | men | mourning | philosopher | portrait | portraits | professor | robes | sarcophagus | scepter | sculptor | sitting | tassels | toga | university | University of Glasgow | waistcoat | wig | woman
- Associated Places:
- Glasgow | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Hutcheson, Francis (1694–1746), moral philosopher
Natter, Johann Lorenz (1705–1763), gem-engraver and medallist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Medallions of F. Hutcheson and L. Natter, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.