A View in the Garden of Craigie-Hall, the Seat of the Honble. Charles Hope-Weir
- Additional Title(s):
A View in the Garden of Craigiehall, the Seat of the Honorable Charles Hope-Weir
- after 1762
- Etching on moderately thick, rough, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 9 x 12 1/16 inches (22.8 x 30.6 cm), Plate: 6 15/16 x 10 3/16 inches (17.6 x 25.8 cm), and Image: 6 1/16 x 9 1/2 inches (15.4 x 24.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper center: "John Hope = Hopetown, 2nd Earl of (Nov - 81) | Craigiehall = home of Hon Charles Hope (Hope-Weir) | of J. P. Wood, Cramond (underlined), 1794 6)-68, 71, 151"
Lettered in black ink, upper center: "Hæ latebræ dulces, etiam (si credis) amænæ."; lower left: "Iohn Hope delineavit 1762."; lower center: "A View in the Garden of Craigie-Hall, the Seat of the honble. Charles Hope-Weir."; lower right: "Iohn Browne Sculpsit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | basket | bridge (built work) | coats | costume | cottage | fishermen (people) | fishing | fishing pole | genre subject | gesture | hut | landscape | men | path | pointing | river | thatched roof | thatching | trees | tricornes | walking
- Associated Places:
- Craigiehall | Cramond | Edinburgh | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Browne, 1741–1801, British, A View in the Garden of Craigie-Hall, the Seat of the Honble. Charles Hope-Weir, after 1762
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.